Sample Customer Service Cover Letter
If you're hoping to land an interview for a customer service job, you need a cover letter that's specifically geared toward your industry and the job listing in question. A good cover letter that hooks the hiring manager's attention and demonstrates the value you'd bring to the role is essential if you want to get that interview and ultimately, the job.
What a Customer Service Cover Letter Should Include
A cover letter for a customer service job should have all the usual elements of a good cover letter, including:
- Contact information: your name, address, phone number, email address, and so on.
- A salutation: Ideally, follow your greeting with the name of a contact at the company – either the hiring manager or a representative from human resources. If you do not have a contact, you can leave off of the salutation, or include a general one, such as "To Whom It May Concern."
- The cover letter body, including a grabby first paragraph that draws the reader in and hooks them with your skills and experience, and supporting paragraphs that show that you know what the company is looking for and that you can provide it.
- A closing paragraph, summarizing your skills and how you'd use them to solve the company's problems and contribute to its success.
- A closer, e.g., "sincerely" or "best regards." Here's more information on how to close a cover letter, with examples.
Of course, a cover letter for a customer service position should demonstrate your specific customer service-related skills and experience.
You're trying not only to get the hiring manager's attention but indicate that you understand what is required for the role.
You'll want to highlight soft skills like listening, conflict resolution, empathy, and depersonalization (i.e., the ability to provide caring customer service while not telling the customer your life story).
Hard skills like software programs specific to the job are also valuable.
Here's a customer service skills list to get you started brainstorming. If you have even a little bit of experience in the industry, you might be surprised how many of these hard and soft skills should be on your resume and in your cover letter – and aren't. Now is not the time for modesty, so go ahead and toot your own horn.
Customer Service Cover Letter Sample
The following is an example of a cover letter for a customer service position. Also see below for more cover letter samples, and tips for emailing a cover letter and resume.
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Phone Number
Your Cell Phone Number
Dear Hiring Manager,
In today's customer service oriented society, timely, friendly, proactive service is sought to enhance future business growth. Customer loyalty is always impacted when you employ the right service professional to represent you when assisting your valued customers.
My long-term experience in the service industry has taught me how to meet and exceed each customer's expectations with service that sells. I have assisted all types of customers in all types of settings. I realize that acquiring and maintaining loyal repeat business as well as spreading the word of your business through these loyal patrons is of the utmost importance in every company.
Positioning a company for better exposure and greater marketability is a task that I have performed with success many times.
I am an excellent trainer who achieves ongoing success with her teams by building morale, maintaining teams' self-confidence, and training them to build the sale by improving their people skills.
It would be a pleasure to interview with you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Your Signature (hard copy letter)
Your Typed Name
How to Send an Email Cover Letter
If you're sending your cover letter via email, list your name and the job title in the subject line of the email message. Include your contact information in your email signature, and don't list the employer contact information. Start your email message with the salutation.
Customer service cover letter
View this sample cover letter for customer service, or download the customer service cover letter template in Word.
Customer service is all about helping people. Your cover letter should demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your passion for customer service. To be considered for top customer service jobs, it helps to have a well-crafted cover letter. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for customer service, or download the customer service cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can learn more about customer service careers and search for customer service jobs on Monster.
Customer service cover letter template
Sometown, CT 55555 | (555) 555-5555 | email@example.com
July 27, 2017
Ms. Wendy Solomon
Human Resources Specialist
55 Seabreeze Ave.
Sometown, CT 55555
Dear Ms. Solomon:
Your customer service manager position advertised on Monster is an excellent fit to my qualifications.
During the past five years, I have been promoted to increasingly responsible positions within ABC Company, serving as a customer service representative, acting supervisor and East Coast customer service manager (my current role). Throughout my tenure with ABC, I have built lasting customer relationships, salvaged key accounts and strengthened customer loyalty.
Regarded as a proactive problem solver and liaison between cross-functional business units and high-value client accounts, I am passionate about serving customers with excellence. Achievement highlights:
- Rebuilt the East Coast customer service team from the ground-up. Instituted new training programs, accountability measurements and performance goals that led to record-setting gains in customer satisfaction scores¾from 85% in 2016 to 96% in 2017.
- Averted the threatened loss of three multimillion-dollar accounts. Investigated and resolved billing discrepancies and rectified shipping delays to win back client trust. Worked with cross-functional teams to improve accounting and logistics processes to prevent future issues.
- Rolled out a new CRM system to allow for more personalized and customized service.
My customer service management experience is reinforced by a bachelor’s degree in communications, proficiencies in CRM database systems and fluency in Spanish.
I am confident in my ability to further the success of your customer service organization. Please call me at (555) 555-5555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a meeting. I look forward to speaking with you.
See all sample cover letters on Monster.