Most of the students detest doing homework. Some students find it time-consuming, other might complain about the busy schedule, while there are also students who find homework a boring task. But if you have not completed your homework, you need to be well prepared with an excuse because whenever you are given any task, your teacher might ask you to submit it the next day or at a specified date.
If you fail to submit your work and don’t have a convincing explanation; you are sure to be punished. So, to be saved from punishment; you need to provide a good Excuses for not doing homework. But using the same excuse again and again can be risky since your teacher will have a doubt you. So, I have listed 12 excuses that can work well when you miss your homework. If you have already applied one, go for the second.
This list provides a number of options that can fit your sack.
1. I forgot to bring my notebook
forgot to bring my notebook
This is one of the most common and genuine excuse that you can use. If it’s the first time you missed your homework, this trick of defence work very well. In a hurry, most of the students normally forget some of their notebooks. Hence, teachers can easily trust this reason for yours. But again, remember that don’t give this justification time and again. Because it is illogical that every time when you are assigned task, you tend to forget your notebook.
2. I couldn’t complete the work because I wasn’t feeling well
not feeling well
If you have already made the above excuse once or twice, go for this one. Any diseases, infections or problems never come with an invitation and teachers to understand this well. So, if you tell that you fail to complete your work because you were sick, they will surely not punish you. Most importantly, even teachers know that students frequently face health issues, so your reason will be satisfactory for your teacher.
3. I tried doing the homework, but I failed to understand the topic
failed to understand the topic
This reason depends on the homework that you are given. If you are assigned task that is not explained properly in the class or if you are provided with the topic for writing, just like an essay that is quite difficult; you can undoubtedly apply this reason. You can tell your teacher that you tried researching the topic, but you failed to understand the core meaning of it. So, the teacher will automatically stand up to clear your concept or explain you the topic of your work. But again, remember that don’t give this reason if any topic is explained to you clearly in the class or if the topic of your written work is already explained to you in details.
4. My little brother tore my notebook
My little brother tore my notebook
If you have younger brother or sister of age 5-10 years old, you can give this excuse for not doing homework. Yes, many times we complete our work but fail to pack up things. Thus, they remain scattered on our bed or table. Moreover, if we have little brother or sister, it is quite predictable that they pick our notebook and play with it, not knowing how important it can be. So, if you give this reason, your teacher might rebuke you for being careless but ultimately you will be saved from getting punishment for your incomplete work.
5. I was absent that day
I was absent that day
If your teacher hardly notices the number of students present in the class or if they hardly care to look at the attendance register; you can apply this reason for missing your homework. If you tell them that you were absent on the day when homework was assigned; they will grant you some more time to complete your homework.
6. I bought my notebook, but I’m not finding it anywhere now
Not finding it anywhere now
This reason displays that you have completed your homework and bought in the class, but somehow it got misplaced and you are not able to find it. So, in the class of 20-40 students, teachers will hardly have time to ask every student to check their bags and look for your notebook (which means someone might have mistakenly kept your notebook assuming that it belongs to them). Yes, most probably your teacher might tell you that “fine, search it and submit it to me tomorrow”’. This way you can have some more time to complete your work.
7. My PC or laptop didn’t work last night
Laptop didn’t work last night
This excuse again depends on the homework that you are given. If your homework requires the use of computer or laptop; you can give this reason. You can just say that “I have completed half of my task, but unfortunately my laptop automatically shut down and it was too late to find any repair shop open”. This reason will reflect the problem of your laptop and your teacher will not raise an eyebrow at you.
8. My friend borrowed my homework but he didn’t turn up today to give it back to me
borrowed my homework
Make up an imaginary friend, who need your completed homework as a reference of the topic that he failed to understand. So, you can tell your teacher that your friend didn’t understand the topic, so he borrowed your homework and promised to return back before the school time. But unfortunately, he didn’t turn up. Present it in a way that you tried helping your friend. Your teacher might get angry at you but ultimately they will consider your excuse for not doing homework.
9. I didn’t find the prescribed page number in my course book
Not find the prescribed page number
Before giving this reason, you need to take a little risk of tearing the page from your book for which the homework is assigned. Tear the page in a way that it looks like the pages are missing from your book. So, if you are giving this reason; don’t forget to take your course book along with you. Your teacher might ask you to handover that book in order to check the questions. So, if they really find the pages missing; that is surely not your mistake and you can be saved from the punishment for missing your homework.
10. I was in a hurry, so I mistakenly left my notebook in my mom’s car, and now she’s in the office
mistakenly left my notebook in my mom’s car
This can instead be a good excuse for not doing homework. Many times, we tend to forget things in a hurry. So, just tell that you were carrying your notebook since it was already time for your class but you mistakenly left it in your mother’s car and since they have reached the office, you cannot ask them to bring it back to you.
11. My neighbor disturbed me a lot, so I failed to focus
what is your problem
This can be the last excuse that you can use for missing your homework. When you had applied all other reasons earlier; and you are left with no other excuse; you can tell your teacher that your neighbor came at your place and distracted you a lot. Hence, you failed to concentrate on your task.
12. State the truth
State the truth
We all know that we cannot make reasons always for not completing the task. If you make a number of excuses time and again, you will surely be caught. Sometimes it’s ok to give a reason but escaping homework every time is certainly not a good habit. So, at least give a try, and if you fail, give the true reason for it. This will build a trust and probably your teacher might appreciate you for your sincerity.
Image Reference:- reddit.com, Tumblr.com, j-14.com
borrowed my homework, failed to focus, forgot to bring my notebook, Missing Your Homework, mistakenly left my notebook, State the truth, student excuses, tore my notebook, what is your problem
Sorry, but homework really does matter.
Annoying, yes. Boring, usually. Important for your academic success? Very much so.
See below for some important reasons why you probably should be doing your homework.
1. GradesRead more
- There is no single other larger measurement of your high school experience than your GPA. It opens or closes doors and will never change once you have graduated (or not).
- There are many more important things in high school than grades, but, in general, nothing has as much impact upon your future.
- Doing homework on time leads to better grades.
2. Having done your homework makes the next class time more meaningful, more understandable and less boringRead more
- If you don’t do your homework, you will most often not know what the teacher is doing in class the next day.
- Teachers teach to the students who do their homework.
- The rest of the students get left behind and lost.
- When your teacher assigns homework it is for two purposes:
- To reinforce something taught in class through “independent practice” by the students
- To expose students to something that will be discussed and reinforced in class.
- Doing your homework helps you to identify what you do and do not know.
- Doing your homework helps you to identify your needs.
- Always ask questions about the homework in class. This serves two important purposes:
- It shows your teacher you did your work (grades up).
- It helps you to clarify your understanding and ability to do the work you need for a high grade.
- If you do your homework late or at the end of the quarter, you won’t be learning, you won’t much improve your test grades, and you will have missed the feedback-cycle of:
Classroom learning reinforced by independent practice (homework) = learning = better grades
3. Doing homework leads to more overall learningRead more
- Homework is practice. You don’t get good at something without practice.
- Even if it seems easy and irrelevant, it is still practice and practice has enormous benefits:
- It creates a habit of just doing your work and helps to break procrastination cycles
- It can only help you, just like how one more time in sports increases performance, your brain, memory, and willpower benefit from repetition.
- Even if it seems easy and irrelevant, it is still practice and practice has enormous benefits:
- Doing homework (on time) leads to more learning which leads to better grades.
- In general, learning is probably one of the least impactful pieces of the high school experience on your life. I can’t remember much of anything that I learned in high school.
- However, you will learn a few things in high school that will have a huge impact on your life, that are life-changing.
- Doing your homework gives you exposure to learning and enables you to have success in a subject that you may not have known at age 15 was important to you at age 25.
4. Homework tells you what your teacher wants you to learn and / or do, especially on testsRead more
- Teachers give homework for some good and some bad reasons. Too bad you’re not the teacher, so you can’t decide.
- So, instead of judging your homework, listen to your teacher through the homework and the expectations it sets from your teacher.
- Teachers use test questions for homework and homework for test questions. They do it because 1) it’s fair to students, allowing them to practice what will be on the test; and 2) teachers are lazy.
5. Doing your homework helps you getting through bad classes and teachersRead more
- Many students blame teachers for their grades. Let’s agree that there are bad teachers and boring, worthless classes and homework. A couple things:
- You don’t pay your teacher’s salary. Your teacher gets paid whether you do your homework or not.
- Doing your homework punishes your teacher, because the easiest thing to grade for a teacher is nothing. Get revenge on your teacher and do your homework
- The less you do your homework, the worse the class will become. And your grades.
- Homework helps make class more meaningful, and thus more relevance.
- Homework is part of a circular process of classroom success. If you break that cycle by not doing your homework, you lose, because you get a bad grade.
- Say this five times really fast:
- “The more work I do the more I learn, the more I learn the more work I can do and I get better grades.”
- Doing your homework = better grades
- Doing your homework = class is more relevant
- Doing your homework = you learn
- Doing your homework = breaking procrastination cycles
If you want to improve your grades, try on some homework! Just get started and it won’t be so bad.
Look, I know it sucks to have to do stupid things you don’t want to do. I get it. But look at your grades. If they’re not where they could be, then let’s talk about doing some more homework.
Let me know if I can help.